Tibet Travel Permit, Entry Permit to Tibet


Tibet travel permit 2017 is very important to know that all foreigners traveling to the Tibet Autonomous Region (i.e. Central Tibet) NEED to have a travel permit. You can’t board a plane or train to this region without having a valid Tibet travel permit.

At the point when entering the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR), you should do as such through an authorised tour company. Exploring alone, or taking part in some other type of unguided tour inside the TAR is entirely prohibited and not allowed under the laws and regulations of the PRC.


A. Documents That Our Travel Agency Need To Process Before You Arrive

Prepare and air travel are not allowed before getting required permits.

Tibet travel permit - visas and permits1) Chinese Visa or Tibet Group VisaRequired for: entering the PRC. Apply for: through the Chinese Consulate in your nation of origin if entering the TAR through the PRC, or through the Chinese Consulate in Kathmandu, Nepal if entering the TAR through Nepal.

2) Tibet Travel Permit (TTP): Required for: entering the TAR from ports of section inside the PRC (not Nepal). Apply for: through a licensed travel agency.

3) Alien’s Travel Permit (ATP) or Public Security Bureau Permit (PSB Permit)**Apply for: through the nearby PSB upon entry.

4) Military Permit** Apply for ahead of time and in conjunction with the TTP. **Only required for go through limited zones.


B. Details about The Documents We Prepare For Your Trip

1. Passport and China Visa: All foreigners entering the TAR are required to hold a passport with at least six months of remaining validity. If your current Chinese visa is a business, resident, or student visa, you have to provide proof of your study or work in China. If you are coming to the TAR (Lhasa etc) from Kathmandu, you must obtain a Chinese visa from Kathmandu, even if you have a valid Chinese visa issued by your home country. This is a requirement stipulated in an official agreement between China and Nepal.

√ Visa Extension If you need to extend your Chinese visa during your stay in the People’s Republic of China, you must apply for an extension in Xining, Chengdu, Lhasa, or other large cities. Visa extensions are not available through any local offices in rural areas. The issue of visa extensions usually takes 3 business days, and requires your presence. Please contact us for further information and assistance.


2. Tibet Travel Permit (TTP): Whether traveling alone or in a group, travellers to the TAR can obtain the Tibet travel permit only through a licensed travel agency. After contacting us with your travel dates and plans, and providing a scan of the first page of your passport and your Chinese visa, we will submit the application for you.

You need to send us the required papers at least 2 weeks before your arrival in Lhasa or, if you travel to Mt. Kailash, at least 3 weeks in advance.  Before asking your travel agent to apply for a TTP, please prepare the following documents:

  • A scan of the first page of your passport
  • A scan of your Chinese visa (tourist visa, category L)
  • Full name (as in passport), gender, date of birth, passport number, nationality, and occupation for each person in your group.

Student, business, and residence visa holders should contact us to determine the additional required information they need to provide.


3. Aliens’ Travel Permit (ATP): If your trip to the TAR takes you beyond Lhasa, you are required to procure an ATP in addition to the TTP. The ATP is issued by the Foreign Affairs Section of the Public Security Bureau (PSB). This clearance cannot be obtained without the assistance of an authorised travel agency.

After you have entered the TAR, a travel agent is required to assist you with applying for an ATP because independent travel is not permitted within the TAR. Our guide will ask for your passport information and the TTP to submit them to the Foreign Affairs Section of PSB. The process normally takes several hours and costs 50 yuan per person.


√ Places which require an ATP:

  • The entire Lhoka (southern TAR)
  • Various places in Shigatse prefecture (except Shigatse town)
  • Ngari prefecture
  • Nyingtri prefecture

! Chamdo is now entirely closed for foreign travellers.

**Please Note** If your itinerary includes places not listed above, please verify with us the necessity of an ATP.


4. Military Permit: A Military Permit is required if you are planning to travel to certain areas of Ngari, Nyingtri, and Nagchu. These are regarded as militarily sensitive areas in the TAR. This permit is issued exclusively by the Military Base in Lhasa, and only through our licensed tour agents. In order to apply for a military permit, we will need you to provide your passport information and your TTP. The issue of this permit normally takes 3-5 business days.

DISCLAIMER: Adventures In Tibet strives to obtain a TTP for each customer. However, we cannot guarantee that the Tibet Tourism Bureau will issue a travel permit even if you provide the information required. Adventures In Tibet cannot be held responsible for any tour cancellations or denied permits by the Tibet Tourism Bureau.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you want to increase your chances to obtain a TTP, you should not mention your intention to travel to the TAR when applying for your Chinese visa. You might be asked to show proof of your hotel booking for the majority of the nights you’re planning to stay in China. Make sure you bring print-outs of the booking confirmations to the embassy. Applying for a Tibet Travel Permit is much easier once you have your Chinese visa.


Amdo & Kham

Amdo & Kham are two ancient Tibet provinces scattered into Chinese provinces such as Qinghai, Gansu, Sichuan and now. These places are Tibetan areas outside of Tibet autonomous region and mostly populated with Tibetan nomads. If you want to visit the above places you may need to contact us as some of the places may restricted and and need a special permit.